Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Efficient Technique Maximizes Intensity

(Pat showing how to maximize intensity with an efficient kipping pull-up in Peru)

Today I had an awesome time hitting a WOD with Auty Brooks owner of CrossFit Edmonton. He works on the base as a member of the PSP team. We did a Maxfit USA WOD called "Running Grace" but scaled the weight to 135lb for the whole WOD instead of increasing to 155 and 175 for rounds 2 and three
"Running Grace"
135lb Clean and Jerk x 15
Run 100m
135lb Clean and Jerk x 10
Run 200m
135lb Clean and Jerk x 5
Run 400m
Sean: 8:58 Auty: 7:51

Today was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing it again. Auty has over 2 1/2 years as an owner of a CrossFit gym. I look forward to picking his brain about his business and other areas of coaching and CrossFit.

Technique and Intensity
For those of you that don't know, Intensity is strictly power output. So, for example, in Grace I can calculate my power output by multiplying the work done (load moved) by the distance traveled and divide by time to get power. Power is exactly equal to intensity. So, to increase intensity in Grace I would have to do it faster...simple right? Now, today my clean and jerk went from semi respectable to "horifically shitty." I could have easily had a better time by more efficiently executing my clean with a bigger shrug etc. Problem is, fatique tends to send that plan into the trash can pretty quick. My new mindset is to focus more on efficient movement during my workouts to conserve energy, get a better time and increase my power output. By increasing my power output I will be increasing my intensity which is "almost always the independant variable associated with optimizing returns" - Greg Glassman (the shotcut to the good stuff).

Questions or Comments?

2 comments:

  1. I love MaxFitUSA WODs. This looked awesome. Max really puts great ones out there. Are you settled into Edmonton?

    Oh, I think your time is not bad, pretty good. I am looking forward to this one in about 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I would like Grace better with running or without. Running would be nice to break it up. I am a little jealous that you are getting to hang out with the CF Edmonton owner. My Dad is going to help me build a second box jump ... Do you think the second should be 20" or 21"? Are 18, 21, and 24 good sizes? The 18" is solid and quite heavy so it is nice to have the handles sawed and sanded out.

    ReplyDelete