Sunday, February 1, 2009

Preperation

In preparation for my break from CrossFit WODs and movement into a Starting Strength routine I have been slowly chipping away at Mark Rippetoe's book. It is hard to read when I have so many other books to get through but I have been making good progress. I have finished the section on squatting and I am very impressed with the detail, explanations and jokes provided. He does an excellent job of describing the lift in great detail which includes anatomy and all the common faults with corrections. I really enjoyed one part regarding spotting, "Any lifter that bails out of a missed rep and leaves the spotters holding the bar should be beaten with a hammer." He has a no BS approach to teaching people how to lift effectively and safely. I know his program has proven results and will aid me in reaching my long term fitness goals.

Today is day 29 of my 30 day HSPU challenge. I will finish just in time so that it will not take away from my press this week. What challenge is next guys?

I have done 500 burbees in the last 7 days for "sins" in my Sugar sin Burpee challenge. I am going to tighten that up a bit because they are starting to get to me. Super Bowl tonight so I might end up making it an even 700 in 7 days. But then thats enough....

7 comments:

  1. strict dips/pull-ups for next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about drinking 4 litres of milk a day when you begin starting strength on top of what you already consume? For those of you who may not know how much 4 litres of milk is ... it is equal to a little less than 3 bags of milk that you would buy at the grocery store. Let me know how it goes. If you put on weight, get an upset stomach, eat more often (more than 6 times a day), do you drink the milk before or after a WOD, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Okay, you want to know what I ate. I have eaten a dozen eggs for breakfast before, but always ate 6 with toast and milk, and 5 bowls of raisin bran was quite normal until my members asked to stop doing that. I have eaten 11 10-oz. steaks at an all-you-can-eat steak deal -- several of us went there, and the special was discontinued the following week. I have eaten 4 very large plates of spaghetti and meat sauce in 30 minutes. I have eaten 15 pork chops + vegetables at the Olympic Training Center back when the food was really good. I have eaten 225 shrimp in an hour. At a seafood buffet in Michigan, I ate 10 lobsters and the claws off of 10 more, in addition to shrimp, crab legs, lobster bisque, clam chowder, and bread, in 2 hours. I have eaten 7 big bowls of Mongolian BBQ. I have had a gallon of milk in less than 30 minutes. I was very expensive to feed, but I am told by reputable sources that I was absolutely nothing compared to Phil Grippaldi.

    And folks, for weight-gaining purposes, "eating clean" is not a useful concept. Big Macs are."

    Mark Rippetoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rip is a great strength coach but he's a terrible source for nutrition. When it comes down to it, SS and Crossfit are totally different in a major aspect.

    "Done right, fitness provides a great margin of protection against the ravages of time and disease. Where you find otherwise examine
    the fitness protocol, especially diet. Fitness is and should be “super-wellness.” Sickness, wellness, and fitness are measures of the
    same entity. A fitness regimen that doesn’t support health is not CrossFit."-Greg Glassman, CFJ What is Fitness?

    Sorry Rip but Big Macs do not support "super-wellness". I get where he is coming from, to get stronger you need to get bigger, to get bigger you need to eat more. But...quality matters. This is why GOMAD doesn't make sense to me as a Crossfitter. If I know I am going to perform my best at say 8% bf why wouldn't I just train at that level all the time? Why would I GOMAD or McDonalds special to get as strong as possible at say 12% if I cannot sustain that at 8%. Why not just get as strong as possible at 8% bf, because my body will be able to adapt better to lifting at those levels if that is where I am going to be when it is all said and done. Am I wrong about this?

    NOTE: those % are just examples

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno Ben why dont you post it on his forum and find out??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already know what kind of anwser Rip will give me. But check out the new article in the Journal called Crossfit Strength Bias, I think they anwsered my question pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben remember although quality is important it takes a back seat to quantity (C/P/F). It is more important to eat proper ratios than the types of food. You can still get fat eating a gallon of fruit salad a day. So in a pinch don't be ashamed to slam back that 1/4 pounder with cheese (2/2/4). I do agree with you, there seems to be a big misconception that SS is Crossfit. SS makes you stronger that is it's goal and more weight = more strength that's just how it works. Crossfit makes you fitter you get stronger/faster/healthier etc. Furthermore, Crossfit uses some SS principals to make you fitter and that's how the two overlap.

    ReplyDelete