Tuesday, March 17, 2009

In Honour of Lt Murphy

(Nothing like honoring a great hero with my best friend Johnny who fought next to me in Afghanistan - good job today Johnny)

"Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

"In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor". From here on it will be referred to as "Murph" in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is"

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

56:49 with 20lb vest. - I was hoping for a better time. My previous time without a vest was 38 min. This really shows how much my MetCon has suffered. Although, this is a tough WOD and it kicked my butt. I almost puked a few times but it wasn't hard to dig deep and motivate myself.

I love the Hero WOD's but this is my favorite one because of the story behind it. Read it here, you will be amazed at his heroism! There is also a book out written by the sole survivor of the event. The story, and the man really motivate me to do my best every time I do this workout.

Happy St. Patricks Day everyone!


3 comments:

  1. Happy St Paddy's Day. I just finished my first Guiness. Good times today.

    Ironic that Murph came up today. It is probably the most famous of the "Heros". Enjoy the beverages, friends, family today. I will never take the good times for granted, I am sure you will not either. Cheers,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean -

    I've been following your blog through the link from Pat's blog. Saw your workout today for Murph and have to say that your time was impressive with the weighted vest. Awesome work!

    Happy St. Pat's Day to you!

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean great post buddy. Just read the story behind "Murph" and now I feel too guilty to bitch about how hard this wod was so i'll save it for another time. 42:15 with 20# vest @ 198# BW. totally kicked my ass....I can only hope that tomorrow is a lift day. or perhaps a miraculous rest day, but I doubt that haha.

    thanks for coming by today and great work. your met-con is steadily getting better and soon enough you will surpass your previous PR's....just remember to stay focused and let it happen. See you tomorrow!

    Cheers,
    Death

    ReplyDelete