Monday, January 5, 2009

No Shirts, No Shoes No Service

(Jeremy doing Kettlebell snatches - at crossfit london shirts and shoes are optional!)

Deadlift 5x5 and Tabata Kettlebell snatches
WU
45lbs x 5 x 2 sets
135 x 5
190 x 3
245 x 2
Work set
290 x 5 x 5 sets
Tabata Kettlebell Snatches 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 6,
I was not happy with this performance, leading up to the TSC (Tacticle Strength Challenge) I could hold 11's for 10 intervals. On a positive note atleast there is lots of room for improvement.

So this morning, because it was a heavy lift i did it at the military base gym instead of crossfit London. I was deadlifting with my shoes off and a out of shape and overweight fitness staff member told me to put my shoes back on. I get nothing but problems when I workout at that gym (yes I know I break the rules Steve and damage their cheap floor with my kettlebell) BUT it is just my inner desire to try and motivate the civilian fitness staff to try Crossfit or "drink the koolaide." Correct me if I'm wrong but Greg Glassman (founder and mastermind of Crossfit), opened Crossfit to the public via the world wide web in 2001 motivated by 9/11 so that he could give a fitness program to military personel which prepared them better for the physical demands of combat. Did it catch on? Well one way to find out is to look at the elite...the Navy Seals have completely adopted the Crossfit program and the Marines are close. Infact, the Crossfit community is raising money through Operation Phoenix to outfit the Marine Core with equipment. In my opinion, if you are military of police and you are not doing crossfit, you are wasting your time. You can spend less time and get stronger and more fit faster with crossfit and there will be a lower injury rate. (this is all proven if anyone wants citations just ask) This allows more time for crucial job training. So, it frustrates me that civilian fitness staff with their fancy degrees in exercise science and kinesiology cannot even define true fitness or are not striving for it themselves. The Canadian military is slowly adopting crossfit, mainly in back corners withing infantry battalions and Special Forces Units. We need to give our head a shake and wake up, stop worrying about how nice the gym looks and if I have a shirt or shoes on and start preparing our soldiers more for the intense conditions and physical demands of combat.

8 comments:

  1. You have a solid point Sean, however when you state "...stop worrying about how nice the gym looks..." got me thinking, yes I agree with you, I don't care where I do my work out, but if I'm paying competitive rates at a facility I do care about the cleanliness, it adds more motivation to any workout program especially crossfit, and keeps you comming back for more.

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. fair enough Monika .... what I meant when I said that is how big of a deal they made about me denting their cheap floor mats with my kettlebell. I got more attention about dropping weights than Steve has got from years of trying to spread the word about crossfit and get them to buy more equipment. They care more about how the gym looks than how effective it is in turning out fit soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha...I guess there are two types of people out there, ones that work out and others that just watch you work out, and complain because they don't feel and look as good as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one forces you to workout there. If you don't want to follow the rules then don't go there. Simple isn't it?
    In over two years I have not had one complaint or resriction placed on me. Why? I respect the rules and recognize a good thing when I see it. Free. Clean. Chalks allowed. Empty....

    Other then that. Nice to see you today Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a valid point Steve....I guess I have to drop my underlying desire of wanting to reform the entire fitness program of the Canadian military

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your desire and enthusiasm for such a worthy cause. You do not have to drop your underlying desire to reform the CF. Keep in mind.

    1. You do not need to be in sock/bare footed to gain elite fitness.
    2. You do not have to be bare chested to gain elite fitness.
    3. You do not have to drop Kettlebells to gain elite fitness.

    I have not dropped KB's or been bare chested or been barefooted in the gym on Base. However, in the 2 years that I have been working out there I have managed some solid numbers for me. (This is all proven if anyone wants citations just ask). Talking trash about the staff is not the way to change minds or to reform the fitness ideas in the CF.

    PS. Love the site and good luck with your 2009 training goals. I am sure we will have some fun online challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve you make me laugh "(This is all proven if anyone wants citations just ask)." funniest part of the post...your rebuttals are always really well thought out and valid...your points are all true BUT those three things are part of the culture of crossfit...people in the community would be devastated if they were taken away...i just need to reform while I am there

    I will respect the rules from now on ... I shouldn't talk trash about the staff because they are nice people but I wish they would check out a crossfit gym, a cert, or even gain more knowledge on it. Ultimately it is not their fault because the fitness outline is dictated from higher up. Although, choosing a career in fitness should involve investigating and recommending changes in the fitness program. Some have come off as close minded when I try discussing things with them, although I haven't spoke to all the staff. Below I will add a Crossfit Journal article which outlines why it makes sense to implement the program for Police but can correlate to Military personnel that have mandatory PT sessions. http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/policetng_Mar03.pdf

    I'm glad you like the site I was inspired by you and Pat, I am enjoying the discussion so far and smack talk coming in from my competition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sean,

    I am a member of the CrossFit Community and I am not devastated. The culture of Crossfit is forging elite fitness. Nothing said about footwear, tops, and wrecking shit. Just results.

    Bottom line: Workout naked and break shit. Just not at the base!

    Okay I will get off my soap box. See you Friday at the Wits.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete