Monday, January 12, 2009

So I'm an Idiot, Prepare to Laugh

(Kinda fits with my go big or go home mentality, if I'm going to be stupid I am going to give it a good run)

This morning at 7am I went to the new Recreational center on campus. It is a beautiful facility, very large...(it would make an amazing crossfit gym). I decided to do a SS workout...warming up in the back squat things felt pretty heavy, really fast. I dropped weight for the work set and it was still really heavy. I kept thinking, "I know I haven't back squated in a while but I shouldn't be this weak!" I scaled the weight down, finished up, and moved onto press. Press was the same thing, what I was lifting for 5 last week, no problem, I couldn't even put up once. I just couldn't believe how weak I was this morning. It wasn't until the deadlift that I figured things out....the plates were a mixture of lbs and kg....I was thinking 10 and 5 kg plates were 10 and 5lbs. Obviously my mind was somewhere else because I didn't clue in until I started deadlifting. I mean it's one thing to mess it up on one set...but to go through a two exercises and not figure it out is something else. Here is a chart of what I thought I was lifting and what I think I was actually lifting.

Back Squat


Press


What I thought

Actual

What I thought

Actual

175lbs x 2

223lbs

65lb x 3

90lb

185 x 3

245

75 x 2

111

155 x 5

180

65 x 5

90

165 x 5

201

75 x 5

111



75 x 3

111

Finally, I deadlifted 297 x 5 after an enlightening warmup....

This lift day was a waste of time because I was obviously half asleep and worried about how weak I was instead of focusing on the lifts and looking or thinking about the plates. Wed. will prove to be more productive now that I have figured things out and my hair isn't blond anymore.

On a positive note, I felt out my back squat and know what I am capable of lifting next time. Also, I pressed 111 for 5 which is a PR by 1lb.

After the lift, I tried to work some frustrations out on the erg, I only had time for a few 500 m sprints...my PR is 1:31.8. I would like to crush that within a month. This morning I rowed a 1:34.4 and 1:40.3. They have 2 really new models of the C2 and two older ones, which are still great. Who want's to do a Crossfit Endurance WOD in the morning with me?

8 comments:

  1. Don't let Rip hear you are doing CF endurance and SS, he will tell you "that is not SS!".

    Your row times are impressive and in the end you still lifted some good weight this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat, I don't think I will be doing SS as per what you sent me. What you said makes a lot of sense. I did it this morning because I haven't figured out what I am going to do yet.

    I am having a conflict between what I want to do and what I should do. I may just end up focusing on one or two lifts 3/4 times a week. Crossfit endurance 1-2x per week and CFL wods 3/4 times a week.

    Or I may just do the SS workouts you sent me until I stop making linear gains or I feel signs of over training.

    I think I am trying to do too much at once, I may have to learn the hard way. Although, I have done 2 a days before and I made incredible progress. My Diet was tight and my rest and recovery was reflective of how I was feeling and performing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It costs fuck all to pay attention bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar Sin Burpees: no sugar until February 11 or else you owe me 100 burpees. It is official. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. alright ... until April 1st. You're on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean,

    No worries, I also believe in riding the waves when they come. If are you on, in the zone and can do SS, CFE WODs, and extra CF WODs, go for it. Seriously, there are times when we rage, weight are light, we are fast. When those days/weeks come, use it. Training is fun and it should always be fun.

    Here is one of my all time favorite quotes about training....it goes against just about everything, but it is from the smartest man in the exercise world:
    "Variances in effort, intensity, enthusiasm, and performance are an inescapable part of life. The belief that these natural variances can be planned for months in advance in order to optimize performance at a later date is hogwash.”
    - Greg Glassman

    So, if you have the wave ride it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think that's what I am going to do. Ride the wave. Just like in the army i like to have a plan but a plan always goes to shit. So we'll see what happens and how I feel. I love to train, right now I am painfully trying to finish up my last semester of school and training is keeping me focused and giving me something to look forward to and a reason to get out of bed in the morning if I don't have class. I know once I get back to work, after school, I won't have this much time to train so I am 'filling my boots.'

    We'll see what happens and how my training evolves. It should be a good ride.

    ReplyDelete